Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler

Maybe we should have read a Dashell Hammett before a Philip Marlowe, P.I. After all, he came first in 1930 with 'The Maltese Falcon'. Chandler was not Philip Marlowe (he said so himself) but Marlowe took him over...
The Big Sleep was written in 1939, but to me, it could have been written in the sixties. The one-liners are terrific -  " Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although one of them was dead."
Marlowe is dedicated to his profession of Private Eye - and the code that goes with it. Like Chandler, he is a strongly emotional man, which shows in the tone of the scenery and is probably why I like the writing.

Maybe best taken in single books rather than reading through the whole series, which span almost twenty years. The last was written in 1958 "Playback" I more enjoyed the freshness of the dialogue re-reading this one than I remembered when I first read them 30 years ago. A four star read for me!
Roger