Sunday, December 30, 2012

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars is John Green’s fourth novel and debuted at #1 on The New York Times Best Seller list for Children's Chapter Books and remained in that spot for seven consecutive weeks! I am not surprised because this is without a doubt one of my favourite books I’ve ever read, however I think it was in the wrong category because this subject is a tad too intense for children.

In a nutshell: the book is written from point of view of Hazel and follows her friendship and romance with Augustus, but a pretty important factor of their relationship is that they met at a cancer support group... I’m sure by that you can tell that this book isn’t going to be completely happy. However, it’s done in such a way that cleverly brings humour to a not too funny subject. I really don’t want to say anything more to spoil it for you but it is definitely worth a read if you like to laugh one minute and cry the next.

Quinn